Sunday, December 2, 2012

80% of 2012 seeds potted

There is an odd magic about potting seeds.  As I'm dropping seeds in the soil, there is a voice in my head saying 'no way a grape vine emerges from this.'  But, it does.

The weather was wonderful this weekend.  I enjoyed my southern facing porch workshop.  The greenhouse and a fish-pond are to my left.  My tools chests 30 feet away, directly in front of me.  A barrel of dirt next to my chair on my right.  A big sturdy workbench. A kitchen and sink handy.  A computer 50 or 60 feet away.

I'm somewhat distressed at my decision to put 40 seeds in each pot.  Going down to only 20 seeds would have doubled the area required, though.

Three quarters of my "Chalk Ridge cinerea x Extra" cross got moldy in the refrigerator.  Last year, the moldy seeds failed to germinate, so this was a sad discovery.  It seems my 'seed cleaning' efforts were not sufficient.  Next year, if the seeds are going in the refrigerator, they will get 'Houled'.

No comments:

Post a Comment