Sunday, November 18, 2012

Why grow an October grape?

Soon after mentioning the Texas October Grape project, I get a puzzled look and a question.  "Why do you want a grape that ripens in October?"   A friend asked this, yesterday and it is probably the 3rd or 4th time I've gotten it in as many weeks.I really need to write down a good answer.

The first thing that comes out of my mouth is, 'European grapes ripen in August here.  Can you imagine what the August heat does to the grape picker, not to mention the grapes?"

This is a personal perspective, though.  While a glass of wine is great after sweating off 10 pounds picking grapes in the afternoon summer sun, I wouldn't mind skipping future experiences.  I don't get the sense that I'm communicating the pain, though. What they want to know is 'why will an October harvest improve the wine!'

So, what matters is grape quality, and ease of getting the right kind of fermentation.  Grape quality is going to be better when the fruit ripens in 75 degree weather with 55 degree nights rather than 106 degree weather with 85 degree nights.   Additionally, unwanted fermentation in transporting bins is a lot easier to halt when the temps are moderate.  Transportation issues can be addressed with chemicals, dry ice, and/or refrigeration, but these options are expensive and problematic.

August harvests in Texas don't encourage community participation. For example,  'wine stomps' are popular harvest festivals.  There are 'wine stomps' held by wineries all over North Texas, but they don't happen in August. They happen in October, when it is cool. They strike me as faux-festivals.  The grapes come from distant places such as Lubbock, Missouri or California.

But, what I am really dreaming about is growing a vine with a special taste that both delights and says 'I'm from Texas'.  That vine can say 'I'm from Texas' because it won't ripen anywhere else.  There are very few places on earth that have the long Texas growing season and cold continental winter.  A North Texas October wine grape will require both.  Grow it somewhere else, and the fruit will never ripen.

No comments:

Post a Comment